Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
1. WHERE THE HEALTH CARE WEBSITE WENT WRONG
Contractors say the problems trace back to insufficient testing and late changes government officials made.
2. 5 INJURED ON STATE FAIR RIDE
Passengers are hospitalized after an apparent malfunction on the “Vortex,” which spins, twirls and flips passengers upside down, at the North Carolina State Fair.
3. MERKEL SAYS SPYING ALLEGATIONS HAVE HARMED TIES WITH U.S.
“We need trust among allies and partners,” the German leader says. “Such trust now has to be built anew.”
4. PORTUGAL REOPENS THE MADELEINE MCCANN CASE
Prosecutors say new evidence has emerged more than six years after the British girl vanished.
5. WHY ACTIVISTS ARE PUSHING SAUDI WOMEN TO GET BEHIND THE WHEEL
They hope recent reforms made by the monarchy have readied the deeply conservative nation for change.
6. FDA RECOMMENDING LIMITS ON MOST-PRESCRIBED PAINKILLERS
In a big shift, the agency says hydrocodone-containing drugs should be subject to the same restrictions as other narcotics like oxycodone and morphine.
7. HOW GAY COUPLE ARE GETTING AROUND OKLA. BAN
Groom-to-be Darren Black Bear is a member of the Cheyenne Arapaho, among the few Native American tribes that allow same-sex marriages.
8. NYC HORSE-DRAWN CARRIAGES COULD CLIP-CLOP TO A HALT
Animal activists who have long argued against the tradition have the backing of both leading candidates for mayor.
9. FORMER RADIO PERSONALITY ARRESTED IN SEX STING
Dave Herman, who was a pioneering rock disc jockey in New York, is accused of trying to transport a 7-year-old girl to the U.S. Virgin Islands.
10. CARDINALS GET EVEN WITH HELP FROM ROOKIE, VETERAN
Michael Wacha and Carlos Beltran are making the most of their first World Series, propelling St. Louis to a 4-2 victory over the Boston Red Sox.