News

Ariel Castro agrees to plea in Ohio kidnap case

Ariel Castro agrees to plea in Ohio kidnap case

Ariel Castro will serve life without parole plus 1,000 years to avoid the death penalty. Photo: Associated Press/Tony Dejak

CLEVELAND (AP) — A Cleveland man accused of holding three women captive in his home for about a decade has agreed to plead guilty in a deal to avoid the death penalty.

Ariel Castro is entering the plea Friday. In exchange, prosecutors said the 53-year-old Castro would be sentenced to life without parole plus 1,000 years.

Castro had been charged in a 977-count indictment.

He had been scheduled for trial Aug. 5 on allegations that include repeatedly restraining the women and punching and starving one woman until she had a miscarriage.

The women disappeared separately between 2002 and 2004, when they were 14, 16 and 20 years old. Each said they had accepted a ride from Castro.

They escaped Castro’s house May 6 when one kicked out part of a door and called to neighbors for help. Castro was arrested within hours and has remained behind bars.

Recent Headlines

in Entertainment

‘Grey’s Anatomy’ fans launch petition to bring ‘McDreamy’ back

Fresh
patrickdempsey

One superfan claims she isn't sleeping or eating because she is so distraught over the death of Patrick Dempsey's character.

in Music

School blasts Bieber’s prom prank

23-overlay6

The "Baby" hitmaker has been accused of putting students in danger by gatecrashing a prom in L.A. on Saturday night.

in Music

Pop star Mariah Carey makes grand entrance for Vegas show

mariah

The songstress arrived in a classic 1936 pink convertible trailing behind 18 mobile billboards bearing the titles of her number one hits.

in Entertainment

New Video Game Hall of Fame to reveal finalists

arcade

The finalists for the inaugural class of the museum will be announced on Tuesday.

Weather

condition Condition: Light rain
Temperature: 46°
High: 56° - Low: 43°